The list of the best texting apps for Kindle Fire with direct download links & installation instructions.
Even though most people use Kindle Fire tablets for reading and playing games, there is no reason why you shouldn’t use your tablet for texting as well.
With just a few good texting apps for Kindle Fire I want to show you here, you can take your texting and communication experience to another level.
Some of the below apps offer really outstanding features like multi-device functionality or possibility of sending free text messages.
Let me show you the best texting apps for Kindle Fire both from the Amazon Appsotre & Google Play.
Note About Kindle Fire Tablets With & Without SIM Card Slots
Some (especially newer) models of Kindle Fire have SIM card slots, which means you can use them like a regular mobile phone with a separate phone number. Most Kindle Fire tablets don’t have the SIM card slot so you can only use the Wi-Fi connection to communicate with your friends via your tablet.
With above in mind, I separated the list of Kindle Fire texting apps apps into those for Kindle Fire tablets with and without SIM card slots, so that it’s easier for you to choose the right app for your device. Remember that if you have the Kindle Fire model with the SIM card slot, all of these apps will be OK for you.
Below is the list of the three Kindle Fire models that have SIM card slots. If you know about any other Kindle Fire model with the SIM card slot, please let me know about it. The models I know to have the LTE connectivity include:
Texting Apps For Kindle Fire With SIM Card Slot (Wi-Fi + LTE)
The below list of texting apps for Kindle Fire contains mainly Android apps that you will find on Google Play. None of these apps is available in the Amazon Appstore, but that’s not a problem for us.
Note that these are all SMS apps so they will only work properly if your Kindle Fire tablet has a SIM card slot. You can install them on only Wi-Fi Kindle Fire tablets but you will not be able to send messages using them and they may show weird errors.
This app is the first on the list of the best texting apps for Kindle Fire mainly because that’s my favorite texting app. 🙂 I’ve been using it on my Android phone for several years and recently I’ve even bought its paid version (without ads).
The main features of Textra SMS include:
- beautiful and highly customizable looks (it uses material design theme, bubble and icon colors)
- different set of emojis to choose from (Android, Twitter, iOS and more)
- very fast
- full compatibility with Android Wear & Android Auto
- easy copy, pasting & forwarding
- lots of different notification settings (colors of icons, SMS popup to quickly reply and more)
Google Messenger is one of the few Google apps that you can install on your Kindle Fire without having to install Google Play services (and other files) to make it work. For a long time this used to be my favorite text messaging app.
What I like about Google Messenger the most is:
- its great simplicity
- nice Material Design looks
- basic features and settings (blocking, MMS messages, notifications)
- archiving option (which simply lets you archive the text message without deleting it)
GO SMS Pro
GO SMS Pro was my first alternative text messaging app back in 2009. This is really nice app which is best known for TONS of features and customizations it offers. At some point the number of available settings became too overwhelming to me and I switched to the minimalist Google Messenger. Here are some of the features GO SMS Pro offers:
- Private box to keep private messages save (and encrypt them)
- Hundreds of different themes
- Pop up for new messages to quickly view them and reply
- Go Chat that allows for sendng free messages and group chat over the Internet (but you still need to verify your phone number so you need a Kindle Fire with the SIM card)
Texting Apps For Kindle Fire Without SIM Card Slot (Only Wi-Fi)
The below (and a bit longer) list of texting apps will be for most Kindle Fire users. Some of these apps are designed especially to let you send & receive SMS/text messages on your Kindle Fire even if it doesn’t have the SIM card slot.
This is probably the first text messaging app you want to install on your Kindle Fire. Tablet Talk lets you send and receive text messages on your Kindle Fire tablet using your phone number.
The best thing is that you don’t need to have a Kindle Fire tablet with the SIM-card. All you need to do is connect your tablet and your Android phone over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi with the use of this app.
The main features of the app include:
- Possibility of sending and receiving text messages on your Kindle Fire using your mobile phone number
- Dialing and answering calls from your Kindle Fire tablet (but you need to use your phone’s headset)
- To make it work both devices need to be connected over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and the app need to be installed on both your Android phone and your Kindle Fire
Handcent Anywhere 2
This is another must-have text messaging app for Kindle Fire. Just like the app above, it lets you send text messages with your non-SIM Kindle Fire tablet. All you need to do is install the app on your tablet and your Android phone, create a Handcent account and log in with this account on both devices.
Once you have done this, you will be able to enjoy the best features of this app, such as
- Sending text messages from your Kindle Fire (using your mobile phone number)
- Real-time synchronization of all your apps (both your Kindle Fire and your Android phone)
- Possibility of adding more than just one phone to your tablet for control
The list of text messaging apps for Kindle Fire wouldn’t be final without the TextMe app. This is yet another great app that will let you turn your Kindle Fire into a phone that can both send texts & make calls. All you need to do to make this work is install the app, create an account and make sure that your Kindle Fire is connected to the Internet. This app, just like the two above apps, doesn’t require you to have a Kindle Fire with the SIM card slot.
The main features of the app include:
- sending text messages (SMS messages) to numbers in the USA, Canada, Mexico and 40 other countries for FREE
- sending text messages to more than 100 countries using your credits
- making free HD calls to other app users
- getting your own Kindle Fire number that other people can call to reach you
- possibility of making video calls as well
When looking for Kindle Fire texting apps, we simply couldn’t miss textPlus which is another great app that will add text messaging functionality to our Kindle Fire. Just like with the above apps, all you need to do to make it work is create an account (log in), connect your Kindle Fire to the Internet and you can start sending and receiving text messages from your Kindle Fire.
Here are the main features of the app:
- sending free text messages to any number in the US and Canada
- free text messaging and calling among textPlus users
- also cheap plans for domestic and international calling
- HD phone calls
This is another great app that must be present on the list of Kindle Fire text messaging apps. This one works a little bit differently to the above-described apps.
All you need to do to make this app work is create an account, choose a username and you can start chatting with your friends for free. You don’t need to give your phone number to register an account but it’s a good idea if you want to help your friends find you more easily.
The main features of the app:
- Possibility of finding your friends who use Kik Messenger based on your contact list
- One-to-one and group messaging
- Meeting new people