A quick tutorial where you will learn how to download games to your Kindle Fire and how to fix the most common problems with downloading games to Kindle Fire.
Surely our Kindle Fire devices wouldn’t be so much fun if it wasn’t for all the games we can play on them.
Fortunately, the number of games available for our Amazon tablets is so great that everyone will find a least a couple of Kindle Fire games they will absolutely fall in love with.
However, before we can play a game, we need to find, download and install it on our device. How do you do that? Let me show you step by step.
This tutorial is aimed mostly at new Kindle Fire owners to help them get started and make the most of their Kindle Fire device by finding & installing cool games.
How Can I Download Games To My Kindle Fire?
Since the operating system of Kindle Fire tablets is the Android-based Fire OS, all Android games are also compatible with our Kindle Fire devices.
This gives us almost countless possibilities of finding & downloading new games to our Kindle Fire.
You are not limited to only downloading apps from the Amazon Appstore.
You will discover three main ways of downloading games to Kindle Fire below and we will solve the most common problems with downloading games for Kindle Fire. Let’s get started.
1# How To Download Games To Kindle Fire From Amazon
The number one place for you to look for new games for your Kindle Fire will always be the Amazon Appstore.
You can download games to your Kindle Fire from Amazon in two ways: either using your Kindle Fire (connected to the Internet) or your Amazon account on your desktop/laptop computer.
Here is how to download games to Kindle Fire from Amazon using your Kindle Fire:
- Unlock your Kindle Fire and when in the home panel swipe left until you see GAMES. Click on GAMES.
- You can now search for new games, view the list of games from different categories and download games to your Kindle Fire. If you scroll down (by actually swiping up), you will see different games suggested for you. If something interests you, just click on it.
- You are now browsing the page of a specific game. You can see the game description, its rating and screenshots. If you decide to download the game to your Kindle Fire, just click on GET and then on DOWNLOAD. In a few moments the game will download and install on your Kindle Fire.
- You will see the progress on the notification bar and when the game has been downloaded you will see the notification that it has been successfully installed.
- The game will now be present in the app grid on the home screen. Scroll down to see it.
Here is how to download games to Kindle Fire from Amazon using your Amazon account:
- Log in to your Amazon account and go to the Amazon Appstore to view all the apps and games available there.
- You can either look for an app using the search bar on top and browse the apps using their categories or the titles suggested to you.
- When you have chosen the game you want to install on your Kindle Fire, click on it. When on the page of the game, choose the device to which you want to deliver the game (under Deliver to). In my case it’s Olga’s 2nd Fire.
- Click Get App and the app/game will shortly appear on your device. You will see the confirmation screen like the one below.
2# How To Download Games From Google Play To Kindle Fire
There are a few ways in which you can download games from Google Play to your Kindle Fire.
In this method I won’t tell you how install Google Play on your Kindle Fire to download apps & games from it. Instead I will show you a couple of alternative ways to download games from Google Play to your Kindle Fire.
Since all the apps and games in the Play Store are simply regular Android apps, they are all compatible with your Kindle Fire device. This means that you can easily sideload them to your Kindle Fire.
All you need to do is:
- Download the APK file with the game. The easiest way is to look for the title in Google Play and then use an alternative appstore to download the APK file to your computer. You can use one of these alternative appstores or app hubs:
- Transfer the APK file to your Kindle Fire.
- Allow installation of apps outside of Amazon in the settings of your device. Go to Settings > Security > Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Install the game on your Kindle Fire. You can do that with the use of some file manager (click to learn about file managers for Kindle Fire).
3# How To Download Games To Kindle Fire From Computer
Some of you asked me how to download games to Kindle Fire from the desktop computer (assuming that you already have all the APK files needed on your hard drive). Here is how you download games to Kindle Fire from computer:
- Connect your Kindle Fire to your desktop computer with the USB cable. Your computer should detect your Kindle Fire within seconds and it should appear under Devices and drivers (in Windows 10 computers).
- Choose the folder (or create a new one) to which you will copy the APK files of games you want to install on your Kindle Fire.
- When you are done, make sure that you allowed the installation of apps outside of Amazon. Go to Settings > Security > Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Install a file manger that will let you view and manage the storage of your device and install the APK files you have just copied. You can use one of the following file managers:
- Open the APK files with the file manger and install them on your Kindle Fire. Accept app permissions and proceed to finish the installation.
Problems Downloading Games To Kindle Fire
Do you have some trouble downloading games on your Kindle Fire? Are games not downloading on your Kindle Fire?
There may be a couple of reasons why you have problems downloading games to your Kindle Fire. Let us discuss the three top reasons and possible solutions.
Check Your Wi-Fi Connection
The most common reason for problems with downloading games to Kindle Fire has to do with the Internet connection. You will only be able to download new games and apps to your Kindle Fire device if your Wi-Fi is working and you are online.
To make sure that your Wi-Fi connection is OK:
- Take a look at the bar on the top of the screen of your Kindle Fire. If you are online, you will see the Wi-Fi icon next to the battery percentage. The stronger the signal, the more white bars you will see on the Wi-Fi icon. Take a look at how it looks on my Kindle Fire.
- If the Wi-Fi icon isn’t there, this feature is probably deactivated. Go to Settings > Wireless and click on Wi-Fi. Turn the Wi-Fi on by using the toggle button.
- You will see the list of the available Wi-Fi networks. The one you are connected to will be orange. If none of them is orange, it means you aren’t connected to Wi-Fi. Connect to your Wi-Fi network and enter its credentials if needed.
- If you have done everything correctly and you still have problems downloading games to your Kindle Fire, there may be problems with your Wi-Fi router (or it may be one of the two other reasons below).
Check Your Storage
You may have problems downloading games to your Kindle Fire because you have run out of storage. Here is what you need to do to check the storage of your device:
- Go to Settings > Storage. Take a look at how much free space you have on your Kindle Fire.
- If you are running out of space, you can either delete some games, use the 1-Tap Archive option or expand your device storage by inserting an SD card.
Make Sure The App Is Available In Your Country
In the case of some Underground Apps (a pack of great paid apps available for free), there are country restrictions.What it means is that you can install and use selected apps only if you live in one of the supported countries.
This is what you will see if you are from the country that’s not supported.
Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do but wait if your country is not listed as the country where Underground Apps are available. Click here to see the list of the countries where Underground Apps are available.